In Gainesville Florida, Discover Responsibly and Lovingly Bred Golden Retrievers!
In Gainesville Florida, Discover Responsibly and Lovingly Bred Golden Retrievers!
We provide a Whelping service program giving Whelping services to those who don’t have the skills or time necessary for Whelping puppies. Whelping means "to give birth to" (typically referring to canine births). Breeding and whelping puppies are a lot of work and require care twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, during the first few weeks of life, and require constant attention to the puppies and the mother. For owners who have been researching breeding their family pet and have AKC Full registration rights, we help arrange health testing and stud matches. Breeding can be overwhelming for families who want a pup from a beloved family pet; we can guide owners in breeding and offer some in-house breeding testing. Once dog owners have completed the health testing required for the dog breed, we help breed their bitch at our home. We have the equipment, time, and experience to give the puppy litter and mother the best possible start we all want for our puppies. We offer whelping and puppy care services to a limited number of pre-approved litters annually. All litters of puppies will receive the same excellent start that all our puppies receive from birth until they are in the hands of their new owners at eight weeks of age.
Puppies are raised inside our home, not in a kennel environment. We focus on cleanliness, safety, and providing a home environment to the puppies before they go to their new homes. We provide a home away from home atmosphere to your 4-legged family member.
I have over 25+ years of experience in whelping dogs. I can provide care for females one week before birth, assist with c-sections at the veterinarian's office, and provide aftercare until puppies are ready to go to new homes. We have a puppy neonatal intensive care nursery setting and a highly skilled person ready to care for all special needs, from tube feeding, flat chest, and swimmer puppies if needed. We are prepared and ready to handle any situation that might arise.
ALL BITCHES MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AND HAVE A negative BRUCELLOSIS TEST within one week before ENTERING OUR HOME.
Some breeders only require us to whelp puppies, do initial puppy care for them until five weeks, and receive the puppies and mother back once we have them weaned, (meaning the mom no longer nurses them).
• Oxygen Concentrator
• Heat Lamp or Mat
• Life Saver
• Life Drops
• Liver water
• Calcium Supplements
• Oralade (electrolyte solution)
• 24hr video
• Twice Daily Weighing
• Vet Bedding with Traction mat
• Litter Pads
• Pet-Safe Paint and Safe collars
• Provide SQ fluids
• Fresh Plasma
• Temperature Monitoring
Monitor and care for Bitch before C-section birth (1 week before due date) $300 a week boarding.
C-Section has been prepaid at the time of drop-off.
There is a $500 fee for my time and assistance with a c-section.
There are added travel costs for C-Sections at a veterinarian's office over 30 miles or a 30-minute drive from our location.
One week before the due date, boarding costs $300 per week, or the day the dam has reverse progesterone less than 3 IDEXX or 0.3 FINECARE and a consistent morning and evening temperature drop below 98.5 F.
Includes one-day boarding of the mother and care for mother and pups for 24 hours post-delivery. For every puppy over 5, add $100 to the total whelping prices.
Suppose any complications arise during or after the delivery, such as stalled labor or a puppy that needs to be tube-fed or bottle-fed colostrum or formula, extensive resuscitation, use of incubator, and oxygen. For every pup over 6, add $100 to the total for whelping prices.
This additional charge to the Whelping Service depends on circumstances and individual dogs. The weakest and neediest pup will set the rate for all puppies. These prices are for the first eight weeks of care after birth. The caring for the litter will likely be a flat fee of $1,000 per week for no complications for a litter of puppies up to 10 pups.
We do not charge for boarding bitch when the litter arrives. This fee Includes primary care of the mother and pups. For every puppy over 10, add $100 to the total for weekly prices.
Includes the care for puppies with special needs, such as tube feeding, subcutaneous fluid injections, incubator use, bottle feeding, or wound care. This fee includes the primary option.
Daily Early Neurological Stimulation, early scent introduction, clicker loading, potty area Training, Desensitization to noise, surfaces, textures, touch, and socialization with several canines and people. Price includes the Primary option.
Includes the care of any pups with special needs, the intermediate care with the Advanced care option
In-house to determine pregnancy between 30-35 days, but will not be an accurate count but will verify if the dog is pregnant.
Regular Business Hours Monday-Friday 9 AM-7 PM $100
After Hours or Weekends $150
Semen Analyzing & Collection $250
Artificial Insemination services $150
Transcervical Implant services are $500
Reverse progesterone testing is available in-house for $100 a test.
Progesterone testing, $100 for each test
Thyroid Testing is $100
Full panel health blood test $100
Genetic or DNA health panel tests of your adult dogs or litter $200
Monday-Friday testing is $100 per test. 9 AM-7 PM, same-day results.
After-hours, weekends, or holidays $150 per test. Same-day results.
Breeding Guidance Consultation $100 per hour
1. Whelping box -and playpens
2. Heat source- infrared lamp, heating pads, or heating tape.
3. Indoor/outdoor thermometer – to monitor the temperature in the whelping box
4. Animal Rectal Thermometer - to monitor your bitch before her due date for the drop-in body temperature that warns labor is about to begin.
5. Vaseline - for lubrication in case of the stuck pup and when taking the bitch's temperature.
6. Temperature chart or paper - to track and record the bitch's temperature 2-3 times daily, starting at least one week before the due date.
7. Disposable pads – these serve as bedding for the bitch and puppies to line the whelping box before, during, and after whelping, as they will soak up birthing fluids, and we replace them during the whelping.
8. Bath mats or other non-slip rugs will serve as bedding for the whelping box after the puppies have all been born and are ready to settle in comfortably with mom.
9. Clean towels need at least two dozen towels and more towels. They are used to clean and dry the puppies following birth. Small towels like a hand or dish towel size work best or use bath towels cut into smaller sizes. Be sure to have at least a couple dozen small washcloth-sized pieces to grip pups if needed during birth.
10. 4" x 4" gauze pads – to hold slippery umbilical cords while tying.
11. Blunt-tipped scissors - a child's safety scissors are perfect for cutting the umbilical cord; dull scissors are best as a jagged or rough cut will clot faster.
12. Unwaxed dental floss or clamps - are used to tie the puppy's umbilical cord to stop bleeding.
13. Isopropyl alcohol- to clean and dry the umbilical cord.; Bolton the line for the first few days to help dry it so it can fall off more easily.
14. Iodine or Betadine - for cord care immediately after cutting the umbilical cord is cut and to clean puppy abdomens.
15. Baby suction bulb - to remove mucus from newborns mouth and nose as needed.
16. Alcohol wipes – used to clean cord clamps and scissors between pups.
17. Scale - to obtain birth weights and measure growth.
18. Clock/watch - to note the timing of births and monitor and track the timing of hard labor and delivery. Visible and prolonged labor without a birth occurring is a sign of something gone wrong. Note the time of contractions.
19. Animal-safe Nail Polish - 4-6 various colors - you will use this to mark each pup so you can tell them apart to monitor growth and development. Buy multiple and easy-to-distinguish colors and use them to place a colored mark on each puppy as they are born and on different parts of the body if necessary. I start with the top of the head for each color (and sex), then move to the puppy's back or tail with the same color if I reuse a color. For example, I might have a red girl head, a red girl back, and a red girl tail if I had more puppies of one sex than colors.
20. Calcium antacid tablets or calcium supplement - to use as calcium supplement if needed during labor. Vanilla ice cream is another calcium boost with a sugar fix for energy.
21. Puppy Glucose solution - Prepare this 5% Glucose solution just before whelping and store in a dropper bottle: 1 tsp Karo (Corn) syrup, 4 TBL boiled water, a few grains of table salt (sodium chloride), a few grains of salt substitute (potassium chloride), Pre-boil store water and store in closed jars to be used later for mixing formula.
22. Hand Sanitizer
23. Latex-free surgical gloves and clean gloves
24. Paper towels - to clean up messes.
25. Trash bags - to contain messes, one for dirty newspaper/trash and one for used towels.
26. Tablet, notebook, or form - to record time of birth, weight, sex, identifying mark, and any important notes about the puppy.
28. Puppy Holding Box - You will need a temporary place to put the pups aside to keep them out of the way while Mom is whelping the next puppy. A 24" by 18" plastic box with a lid (such as a Rubbermaid box) can work; a small cardboard box works equally well and is cheap! So you're going to use the heating pad in this box.
29. Hot water bottle – this is handy to have on hand if you need to make a trip to the vet's office.
30. Favorite whelping book – reference material right at your fingertips will help to keep you occupied while you wait.
31. Phone – with emergency Vet numbers saved and easy to find.
32. Car gassed up and ready to go "just in case."
33. Esbilac/Milk Replacer/colostrum.
34. Teeny baby animal bottles
35. Feeding tubes w/syringes
38. Cooler with people's snacks/coffee maker
39. Comfy chair, blanket, pillow, cot
40. Ingredients for Nursing Mother's Pudding (We offer this to moms during and after whelping. A made-from-scratch vanilla cream pudding, it's a high protein, high carb, high calcium supplement and is a treat for mom).
As dedicated Golden Retriever breeders based in Florida, we ensure the
highest standards of breeding for our lovingly raised puppies. Our
commitment is to breed sociable, playful, and healthy Golden Retrievers
that can become an integral part of your family, providing you with a
trustworthy furry friend for life.
Copyright © 2023 Heart and Soul Dog Breeding - All Rights Reserved.